Monday, May 30, 2011

Find of the Century

I didn't really have a great thrifty week but I did manage to find a few good things and two fabulous finds at the flea market.

My thrift finds this week included books, Pyrex, vintage glassware, and a great thermos.

Found this great thermos at my favorite thrift store. Under the plastic lid it just has a cork cover.
At the same store I got this great 1926 edition of the Library of Health. Check out some of these great color charts.


At various Goodwills I got this cool Culver set and the 3 different yellow McCoy vases.

Culver set. I love the Scotch bottle.

I went to the local Flea Market and for the most part it was a bust but I did find this great Green Pyrex bowl and what I definitely consider the find of my life so far.
This is a more vibrant green than the pictures reflect. It does have some scratching but I didn't have this one so I paid $8 even though I tried to get her to come down some.

These  napkin rings from the 1880s were a fabulous find. They were stuck in the middle of a bunch of old clothes and the lady claimed they were just old pewter. I was a little familiar with the mark under one of them and gladly paid her extremely low (I'm almost ashamed of how low the price I paid was). I didn't realize how rare they were until I got home and did more research. I consulted a figural napkin ring dealer/collector/book writer and she said they definitely appeared to be good. I was thrilled. These are selling for astronomical prices online and in auctions according to the research I've done. They have a heavy patina (i.e. tarnish) but I probably won't touch it. I'm not sure if I will keep them but I will definitely be enjoying them for a while before I decide whether or not to sell them.

This is a James W. Tufts of Boston silverplate napkin ring depicting 2 Greenaway children.

Greenaway Baseball Boy silverplate napkin ring.


I am joining the party at Apron Thrift Girl and her Thrift Share Monday.


3 comments:

  1. That Pyrex is fantastic! the color is so vibrant!!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great color. I love it!!! Really brightens up the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin the green Pyrex I have turquoise and rose this ones perfect!

    ReplyDelete